2012 has been a banner year for us here at The Dove Foundation! Benchmarks are sometimes difficult to measure, especially when it comes to media and the entertainment landscape. It often seems that things are getting worse instead of better. However, I’ve included some statistics, which are encouraging signs that there is a turn-around, and that movies with traditional values are dominating the scene. For example:
- The number of R-rated movies released in theaters has decline by 36% since our launch in 1991.
- For the first time, 4 out of 8 Oscar nominees in 2011 were Dove Approved.
- The average Dove-approved movie is nearly 3 times more profitable than films that missed the mark.
- Dove created two special seals for inspirational films at the request of the Christian Booksellers Association. So now we can help you identify both family friendly and faith friendly films.
- The number of movies Dove approved so far this year is 18% greater than the same period last year. This means that films with a positive message are on the increase.
- In addition to our reviews at www.dove.org, we are syndicating reviews to four major family and faith-based websites which increases our total audience exposure to nearly 1 million online visitors a month.
- A major Midwest retail chain launched an exclusive “Dove-Approved” end cap in 50 of their stores. The program is expected to go system-wide in 2013.
- We are seeing traction in social media with over 2,500 Facebook Fans and more than 8,000 downloads of our mobile iPhone App
Over the years, we have had the privilege of maintaining favored relationships with executives at seven major studios. They have used Dove’s endorsements on billboards, television spots, print ads and posters. Some have even edited their films to meet Dove standards. (This service is performed on a confidential basis.)
We are looking forward to an exciting year ahead! Doors keep opening up for us, and our credibility as a family advocate has never been higher. It is a privilege to serve you. But frankly, we can’t do it alone. It takes many friends who believe in what we are doing, and who are willing to pitch in with a charitable gift, either monthly or one time. (The Dove Foundation is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. All gifts are tax-deductible.)
Please prayerfully consider what you can do to support us as we work tirelessly to move Hollywood in a more family friendly direction. You can mail a check to The Dove Foundation 4467-D Byron Center Ave SW, Wyoming, MI 49519, or make a secure online contribution at: www.dove.org/donatenow.asp
Serving you gladly,
Dick Rolfe, CEO